Sunday, February 7, 2010

Yellowstone

In early October I headed up to my parent’s cabin in Island Park, ID. I was excited to make the yearly trek up to family summer home. I had high hopes of riding ATV’s, sitting in hammocks, and enjoying the fall color. Little did I know that winter was coming early to Island Park.

It was freezing cold the entire time, and I am talking 3 degrees cold. I only rode an ATV for a few minutes because I got so cold that my hands couldn’t take it any longer. And then there was the snow – oh the snow!

When I was there last year it wasn’t that cold. So when I packed for this trip, I packed similarly. That was a big mistake as nothing that I brought was adequate for the weather. It was a great excuse to sit around in front of a roaring fire place while reading books and watching TV.

We did make it into Yellowstone National Park one day. I find Yellowstone so therapeutic. I don't know if I love Yellowstone so much because I have grown up going to Yellowstone or because it is really just that awesome. There weren’t a ton of animals out that day, but we did have some nice encounters with buffalo and elk.

I also got to see my super sweet friend Stephanie Archibald and her son Carter. There were many hugs and Carter was absolutely precious. He is a kid that passes my likability test.

Mom and Dad at Firehole Falls

Dad and I at Old Faithful Inn

Stephanie and Carter

Next Trip: Colonial Williamsburg

5 comments:

Lisa said...

jenny, first of all i am so amazed by you! i love how much you travel and get to see the world. your smile is so contagious and i just love reading your experiences :)

i LOVED your parents place when we visited eons ago. remember that!? and the buffalo are so beautiful.

it's great to see pics of your fam too. love it, love it. ah, the joy of technology and getting old friends back in touch :)

Jen Davis said...

Lisa,

Of course I remember when your family visited. Your mom was a sharpshooter with that BB gun. I am glad I have access to your blog again. You are awesome!

Stephanie said...

SWEET!! We made your blog! We now have a claim to fame. ;-)

I was so glad to see you when you came! I miss you so much and hope we get to see you in a couple of months. Love you!

Debbie Davis said...

I loved when the Wadells came to the cabin. Remember the charging bison? Betty sure could shoot. I love that you come to the cabin. Nothing is better than hot cocoa, a roaring fire, a good movie and playing with my girl's curls while we vegetate.

mccready's said...

Haha! Bison at Yellow Stone... I'll never forget our experience as long as I live... Clint and I still talk about it...