Sunday, February 14, 2010

Colonial Williamsburg, VA

When I moved out to DC a couple of years ago I promised Shelley that I would accompany her Colonial Williamsburg. I am not quite sure why I made this promise as I HATE Colonial Williamsburg. I loathe Colonial Williamsburg because I can’t stand historical re-enactors. I don’t hate people that dress in period clothing; I just hate people that pretend that they are from that time period, “Pray tell, what is this thing that you call a car fine lady?” I can’t stand that kind of stuff. I think Shelley must have caught me at a weak moment. Of course, who can say no to Shelley with that adorable face and sweet demeanor? It would be like kicking a puppy.

Well, last October Shelley called in the promise. She planned an overnight trip to Colonial Williamsburg and there was no way I could get out of it (not that I tried, face it, any trip to CW requires a cynic). Williamsburg is about 3 hours south of Reston, so we (Shelley, Ben Bennett. and I) drove down on Friday to party colonial style on Saturday. Because Ben works for Marriott, he got us some sweet rooms for a great price – you rock Ben! The Courtyard by Marriott in Newport News, VA has recently been remodeled and it was a very pleasant hotel experience. Two things that I really liked about this Courtyard: the internet was free in the lobby and every table had a TV for those business travelers dining alone.

On Saturday before heading to Colonial Williamsburg we stopped at a Waffle House for breakfast. I have been avoiding Waffle Houses for years for two important reasons. There was a Waffle House in Alexandria, VA whose outside sign was “Wafle House” and I can’t eat at a place that doesn’t spell its own name correctly. The next reason is because Kid Rock got in a fight at a Waffle House. What is it about the Waffle House that could inspire Kid Rock to duke it out and get arrested? I don’t think I want to know. It’s like Tiger Woods picking up that woman at the Pancake House. Can’t we all do better?

Ben is one smooth talker, however, so off we headed to the Waffle House. I have to say that I as long I didn’t look to closely to the dirty surroundings and had low expectations of the food I survived. The hash browns were tasty if that means anything.

It turned out to be a cold and blustery day. We walked all over that blasted town in light rain and wind like the troopers that we are. One cool experience was when Shelley and I served as jury members in the county court and we were, if I dare say, fantastic. Shelley loved all the legal aspects of Colonial law; I liked having places to sit down.

Ben and I also decided that we needed to create a super sweet air fife and drum band. Ben and I are very good, but don’t have a name yet for our band. Any suggestions?

At CW they do a reenactment (I think the British are invading something and taking something but I didn’t care to remember) that is full of drama, romance, and pathos. It was so lame. They had re-enactors wandering amongst the crowd, trying to get us all riled up. “Did you hear what the General said?” “Why would the British do this to its loyal citizens?” I kept moving around the crowd trying to avoid them because they honestly annoy me and give me the creeps.

I would say the highlight of the day for me, naturally, revolved around food. I loved watching the re-enactors prepare food. After looking at how hard it is just to prepare one meal, I kept thinking, “My kingdom for a Kitchen-Aid mixer.” Some of the food looked really delicious, especially the chicken and potato dishes. I even got to talk about Alton Brown with the chef (putting him the “Cool Re-enactor’ category).

Shelley (and me, although I will never admit this in public) loves to eat colonial food. We were able to get a reservation at Shields Tavern right in the heart of bustling Downtown Colonial Williamsburg. I have to say that the food was very, very good. The highlight for me is was the Welsh Rarebit. Welsh Rarebit is a savory sauce, usually made from cheddar cheese, ale, ground mustard, paprika, and Worcestershire Sauce, and is served over toasted bread. It is so tasty, although how can you go wrong with melted cheese and bread? See Alton Brown’s recipe for Welsh Rarebit here.

I think the trip was best summed up in the following conversation between Shelley and me:

Shelley: I could see how you could spend a few days at Colonial
Williamsburg.

Jen: Really?

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Jencita, you make me laugh out loud (and I mean it literally, none of that LOL crap). Agreed that re-enactors are weird when they stay in character, although they can be quite pleasant when they don't and are just there to be picturesque. Wish I could've been there to see you darting through the crowd! :-)

Debbie Davis said...

You are a funny girl. I mean that in the humerous, not odd, way. Well, you are a little odd, too. I sure raised you right didn't I! Considering your hostility towards historical reinactments, I'll have to shelve my plans for an authentic Dickens Christmas. Too bad. You were going to be the Ghost of Christmas Present because of your love of fine food. Guess who was going to be Scrooge?