Sunday, October 5, 2008

Portsmouth, VA

Instead of teaching a course, I had the opportunity to attend a course by the National White Collar Crime Center on investigating financial crimes. While I tried to attend the course in Anchorage, Alaska my boss wouldn’t go for it. Instead I attended the course in Portsmouth, VA. I decided to drive from Reston to my hotel in Norfolk. A road trip that was supposed to last about 3.5 hours took me almost 5.5 hours. Stupid I-95. I chose to stay in Norfolk, which is close to Portsmouth, because the Hilton there was offering double points. I can’t resist.

Driving in Norfolk and Portsmouth is a lot like driving in the Bay Area. You have to take into account bridges and tunnels. According to MapQuest it should have only taken 13 minutes to get from my hotel to the Portsmouth Police Station. That is not the case as it usually took me between 30-45 minutes depending on traffic. I probably should have stayed a bit closer, but there is not a lot in Portsmouth to make it appealing.

The best part of the course was the fellow attendees. I had so much fun learning from all the police officers and prosecutors in the course. We often went out at night and had dinner together. We even went and walked on the Virginia Beach boardwalk, which I must admit looked a lot better than when I was there six years ago. The statue of Neptune is spectaular. I was a bit of a buzz killer as I was recovering from a sinus infection and didn’t have a lot of energy.

Next trip – Ft. Leavenworth, KS

No comments: