Saturday, October 4, 2008

Mt. Vernon, VA

My friend Evan is awesome. He decided that we (Shelley, Evan, and I) needed to go visit Mt. Vernon, the home of George Washington. Luckily, I was in town for the weekend and the weather wasn’t too terrible for August in Northern Virginia.

Evan picked Shelley and me up and here is where Evan’s awesomeness really came into play: his car was pristine and he packed a cooler of snacks. Anyone that packs a cooler of snack (including waters and soda) is perfect in my book because I rarely think that far in advance.

Now I had been to Mt. Vernon about 12 years ago during my high school DC trip. I wasn’t that impressed by the place and had never been eager to return. Shelley, however, was dying to go and who can say no to that face? Also, the Mt. Vernon Ladies Association just renovated the museums and visitor’s center. Perhaps it was time for me to give Mt. Vernon another chance.

When we arrived we first went to the visitor’s center and watched a movie about George and Martha Washington. The movie was pretty good and I swear there were some actors that I had seen on Law & Order episodes. Pat Sajak also introduced Mt. Vernon and the video. It is always good to see Pat.

Evan arranged for us to take a boat ride up the Potomac. I don’t go on boats often, but I am always glad when I do. It was a lovely ride and the breeze off the water kept us very comfortable. I will admit that the girl reading the narration was not very enthusiastic – but it didn’t ruin the experience in any way.

The new visitor’s center had a lot of cool multimedia presentations. There is one theater that accounts Washington’s crossing of the Delaware. It was an interactive presentation that had falling snow. Now because I am nosy, I overheard that the snow was falling only on the right side of the theater. I was Machiavellian in getting us on the snowy side of the theater, and it was so worth the trouble.

The actual home of Washington is quite lovely with an incredible view of the Potomac. I enjoyed my trip much more this time around. I think I could have lived in that home (as long as I could modernize with air conditioning). Overall I really enjoyed the tour, except for the annoying little kids – but that is a long rant that I won’t repeat.

Evan told us that there was a restaurant at Mt. Vernon that serves colonial cuisine, and Shelley loves colonial cuisine. Unfortunately it was closed for a wedding (stupid wedding). It worked out just fine in the end as Shelley and I took Evan to Kabob Palace, which serves the best kabobs in the DC area. So delicious.

I just want to give a shout out to Evan for planning such a great excursion. I had a blast.

2 comments:

Jodi said...

Jen, you have a fascinating life! You are going and meeting with cops, going to view historical stuff in DC, and just doing great things! I'm so happy for you! Keep on blogging so that I can live through you vicariously!:)

Jen Davis said...

Jodi - I appreciate the shout out. I do have a lot of fun, but I have a sneaking suspicion that you do as well. Your kids are adorable. I love the internet for allowing us to keep in touch. Rock on!