Sunday, November 2, 2008

Wolf Trap

In September Shelley and I went to Wolf Trap to see Les Miserables. It is my favorite musical and Shelley had never been. I had seen the production once before when I was 14. My parents gave me tickets to see the play at the Curran Theater in San Francisco. It was the first time I had ever seen a Broadway-level production and I had such an amazing night. I dressed up and went into The City, ate at a nice restaurant, and headed off to a night at the theater. I think very fondly of that night because I felt so sophisticated and grown up.

When I found out that Les Miserables was playing at Wolf Trap I decided that I had to go. While I was willing to go by myself, I was able to sweet talk Shelley into not only coming with me but also forking out good money for expensive seats (sadly Seabreeze was out of town). It turned out to be a good investment as it rained most of the night and the poor saps on the lawn seats got totally drenched.

I didn’t really understand the concept that Wolf Trap was an outdoor theater with some covered seating. While it is really cool to have the outdoors and the theater together in one (it reminded me of the times I went to the California Shakespeare Festival in Orinda) I don’t like getting rained on. Also, being open to the outdoors also means no air conditioning (which I have professed my love for on various blogs). The humidity was killer and I could not fan myself enough. The play, however, was outstanding and worth every penny; Les Miserables never disappoints.

Getting my car out of the parking lot proved to be difficult to the torrential rain. Luckily I plan for every contingency so Shelley and I sat in the car and watched episodes of “The Soup,” until the lot cleared out. God bless Joel McHale for being so hilarious.

Please note that I know I look slightly demonic in this picture. I am a bit freaked out - but there is no reason to punish Shelley because I am not photogenic. We tried to capture some more visually interesting pictures but lighting made it really difficult to capture any of the cool architecture of the facility.
<

1 comment:

Debbie Davis said...

I can't believe that you think you look demonic. Before I even read that part I was going to send you a comment on how cute I thought your picture was. Les Miserable is the best. Wish I could have been there, except for the humid part.