Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Philadelphia


Back in April our ward planned an activity with the Philadelphia singles ward. I normally don’t participate in ward activities (I am lazy and would rather be home watching a movie) but Shelley and I decided to go. Now the plan was to drive up to Philadelphia and stay with people up in Philly, doing some urban camping. Now I am far too old and far too pampered to sleep on someone else’s floor. So I talked Shelley in splitting a hotel room with me. Now that I am in my 30’s I have gone totally soft and I want a comfortable night’s sleep. I am worried that I am about two years away from having a bed time of 9:30 pm and nodding off while reading Reader’s Digest Condensed Books.

Shelley and I arrived in downtown Philly on a Friday night so we could do a little sightseeing on our own. When we arrived at the hotel, we were informed that the hotel had given my reservation to another Jennifer Davis from West Virginia. To make up for it, they gave Shelley and I a Junior Suite, which was like a regular hotel room except that it had two TVs. It was awesome.

Now I warned Shelley that Philadelphia is kind of gross, but I don’t think she really believed me. Luckily the city hadn’t changed much since I was there seven years ago and I did not come off looking like a liar. That being said, we had a great time wandering around Old City. We ate a place called City Tavern which was very cool. City Tavern offers “authentic colonial-style cuisine that is served in this historically accurate reconstruction of the original 1773 tavern. There are three floors with colonial décor and staff in period costume.” It was surprisingly good and I gladly wasn’t freaked out by the living history performers.

Shelley and I spent Saturday wandering around Philadelphia with our friends Kasey and Justin. We saw the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, Ben Franklin’s grave and ate cheesesteaks at Jim’s. I had a great time and I think Shelley really enjoyed all the historical buildings. I really liked the cheesesteaks.

1 comment:

Debbie Davis said...

I wish there were more photos with you in them. A mom can dream can't she. I love you more than finishing the crossword puzzle without taking any hints. Momala