Thursday, April 10, 2008

Dallas, TX

Originally Posted January 16, 2008

Right now I am in Dallas, TX for work. I am conducting a week long training course for Dallas' Finest. It is very surreal for me to be back in Texas after nine years. I have not returned since I left my mission in Houston. It isn't out of animosity or anything, it is just that Texas is hot, flat, has giant cockroaches, and lacks a sex appeal that I generally look for in a travel destination. It was weird driving through the freeways and seeing blasts from my Houston past: What A Burger, Taqueria Arandas, Taco Cabana (I am a bit freaked out that all my Texas memories deal with food, but I could never afford to eat out in Houston), and everything being "Texas Sized." What does that even mean, Texas is only the second largest state, so wouldn't it be more accurate to say "Alaska Sized?"

So I am not overwhelmed with love for Dallas. I am just not getting that "I could totally live here" vibe. That being said, I have found myself obsessed with the JFK assassination. I was driving around downtown and I passed Dealey Plaza and I thought to that it could not possibly be the same, grassy knoll having, magic bullet theory inducing Dealey Plaza. It is and it looks exactly like, and at the same time, nothing like it did in the Zapruder film. I guess that is how most things are, they look larger than life when you imagine them, but you get there and the grassy knoll does not look nearly so ominous. Also 40 years of time passing could also play a part it the change. I also saw the Texas School Book Depository building and I like the architecture. I am now thinking of becoming a conspiracy theorist as it will give me something to do in my free time.

Anyway, here is a picture of me eating seafood, yes seafood, at a famous restaurant chain here in the south called Pappadeaux. I had the Citrus Crusted Tilapia and it was amazing and that is saying something as I don't care much for seafood. I would highly recommend the place, and thanks Dad for recommending it to me. It was yet another place in Houston that I always wanted to eat but could never afford.

I love traveling on work: good food, nice hotels, and sweet rentals cars. Ahhhh, I'm living the good life. Rock on!

No comments: