Thursday, April 10, 2008

Alpharetta, GA



Originally Posted February 18, 2008

Hello All,I just returned from Atlanta, GA last week and I loved it there. The people were friendly, there were plenty of trees and it wasn't freezing cold (like it was in Virginia). I do enjoy traveling for work, I get to go places I wouldn't go ordinarily and, as I have said before, someone else pays. Of course in two weeks I have to go to West Texas, so there are some down sides.

While in Atlanta (Alpharetta to be exact) I tried to make the most of my free time. I am so lazy that I really have to force myself to get out and do things, but I am always glad I got out of the hotel room.

I went on the CNN Center tour, which was fun, short, and to the point and the items in the gift shop were, not surprisingly, overpriced. Apparently the building where CNN is now located used to house an H.R. Pufnstuf theme park. That made the entire trip much more mystical and I enjoyed imagining what would happen if we mixed the worlds of fast-paced news reporting and the H.R. Pufnstuf Living Island. What a long, strange trip it's been.

I also visited the World of Coca-Cola in Atlanta. As an avowed Coke lover, it was like coming home. While it was a nice tour (and I spent a lot more time there than I expected) it was a lot of marketing for one day. I felt like I had been to Coca-Cola re-education camp; "I will drink and enjoy only refreshing Coca-Cola products." I did enjoy the tasting room, where you could sample 65 different soda flavors from around the world. Having sampled a lot of those flavors, all I have to say is "God Bless America." We have awesome soda.

I know that my favorite food network show, Good Eats, is filmed in the Atlanta area. Having spent hours and hours watching television, I recalled that some scenes were filmed at a Kroger grocery store in Alpharetta. I decided I needed to take a chance and see I could stalk Alton Brown. I walked that grocery store, with a very pure heart mind you, but it was all for naught. Alton was no where to be found (esp. since I have learned that he now films on the opposite side of Atlanta). I am sad, but I can at least know that I gave it the old college try.

No comments: