Sunday, June 15, 2008

Ft. Gratiot, MI or "Care Bears are Yucky"

I recently returned from Ft. Gratiot, MI to visit my college roommate Kristine and her family. I always love to visit Kristine as she and I are just two peas in a very strange pod. I also adore her children (since I only like kids on a case-by-case basis, it is a real compliment that I like all three of her kids). I see it as my job to spoil them as their Aunt Jendavis. Her children all call me Jendavis. When I have tried to explain to them that my first name is Jen and my last name is Davis the response is generally one of incredulity. I think we are all at the point where Rachel, who is 4, thinks my name is Jendavis Davis. Although it is progress in the arena of name comprehension, it love that they call me Jendavis and wouldn’t change it for the world.

I was only up in Michigan for a few days but I had a blast hanging out with the kids, spoiling them, and chatting with Kristine and Jon late into the night. Ft. Gratiot is located about 60 east of Detroit on Lake Huron. I have to say that Detroit leaves a lot to be desired. I know that Michigan is way ahead of the country when it comes to an economic slump and it shows. Luckily Jon has a great job and that makes Michigan a great value when it comes to housing. I am content to visit at this point.

We mostly hung out and went to some of the kids favorite places like Golden Corral and the Rainforest Café at Great Lakes Crossing. The kids love Rainforest and the mall is pretty cool. They have a very kid friendly Chuck E. Cheese like place that they just adore. I let them go to the Disney Store and pick a gift. It was so awesome to be able to just spoil Rachel, Carter and Katey rotten and be the favorite for a good 10 minutes.

I was also able to go to Rachel’s preschool graduation which was appropriately adorable. They sang songs and fidgeted and ate cookies brought in by the parents. She was so proud of her achievement and is far too smart for her own good.


Carter, 2, is talking so much more than when I last saw him in October. It is great to see his personality come out. He has so much energy and is the quintessential boy. He refuses to watch Care Bear cartoons as they are “yucky.” He sat in the car for 30 minutes with his hands over his eyes rather than watch the Care Bears. I don’t think Jon has ever been more proud.

Katey,1, is so well mannered and easy going. She entertains herself so well and loves to laugh. She is my kind of kid.

I can’t wait to go back.

No comments: